Monday, December 1, 2014

Oma's cheesecake

My youngest child had to do a project about a traditional family recipe that we usr im our family, so I decided I'll use the opportunity as a blpg post.

My grandmother is from Berlin, Germany and her favorite thing to make for any occasion is cheesecake. When I was preparing for this project I decided to google German cheesecakes and realized my Oma's recipe is unlike the others I found. For one she uses full fat Philadelphia cream cheese instead of the lowfat version which is neufchatel cheese. It's always been my favorite desert and I'm thrilled to pass it down to my childre. I'm including the recipe and directions below. If you choose to try it I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.

Oma's Cheesecake

Preheat oven to 400°

Ingredients:

CRUST:

2 cups flour
2/3 cup sugar
1 stick of softened butter (if you use unsalted butter add a teaspoon of salt)
1 egg
.25 oz single acting baking powder*
1/2 package Vanilla Sugar**

FILLING:
4- 8oz packages of softened Philadelphia cream cheese
1 cup sugar
3 eggs
.25 oz single-acting baking powder*
1/2 package vanilla sugar**

** I use Dr. Oetker brand vanilla sugar. Each packet is .32oz and you use just ome package for the cheesecake. Half for the crust, half for the filling.

* for the baking powder I usually use Dr. Oetker brand baking powder in the same way i use the vanilla sugar packs, but I was out of it so I mixed together 1 tablespoon of cream of tartar and 1/2 tablespoon of bakimg soda to make my own single-acting baking powder. I used half for the crustand the other half for the filling.

Directions:

-Grease a 9 inchspring form pan with butter and set aside.

- To make the crust add the flour, sugar, softened butter, egg, baking powder and vanilla sugar to a medium sized bowl and mix together. I usually start with a fork and finish with my hands. You'll get a very crumbly dough.

- Once the dough is mixed together press it into the spring for pan. I use most of the dough on the bottom, but I do build up thr sides a little bit.

- For the filling  add the cream cheese, sugar, eggs, baking powder and vanilla sugar to a large bowl and use an electric mixer to blend. I start at a low speed and increase it wants the ingredients are combined. You'll get a cake like batter.

- Pour the batter onto the crust and smooth the top

-Bake for 50 minutes and 400°

- Let cool 2 hours and serve. I think it tastes best after being refrigerated.

My Oma says that when it's  done there should be a crack in the top of it. Keep in mind this isn't a standard cheese cake, it comes out with a darker top and a lighter filling then most cakes you'll find in the store.

I've included some photos for reference, but I do want to mention that I forgot to set the timer, so it spent a little longer in the oven and came out slightly darker than normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment